8-year-old dies after quad bike accident

8-year-old dies after quad bike accident


Quad Bike accident 2014
The scene of the tragic accident near Whitegate – Photo: Pat Flynn

An 8-year-old boy seriously injured in a quad bike accident in Co Clare on Thursday night has died in hospital.

Ultan Hayes, who had only made his First Confession earlier in the day, was travelling on a quad bike with his father Brian (41) when they lost control and collided with a wall.

Mr Hayes, who was also injured in the accident, had only acquired the quad bike earlier in the day. It’s understood that Mr Hayes had taken his son for a short ride and were just a few hundred metres from their home when the accident occurred.

The tragic incident happened at around 9.10pm at Boleynagoagh North on a local road off the R352 Mounthshannon to Whitegate route. No other vehicle was involved in the collision however a passing motorist discovered the accident and raised the alarm.

Gardaí believe Mr Hayes lost control of the vehicle which then hit the wall. Pieces of tree bark could be seen embedded in a front wheel of the vehicle.

Two units of the fire brigade along with two ambulances from Scarriff rushed to the scene. Paramedics treated father and son at the scene before the child was taken to University Hospital Limerick.

Ultan was later transferred to Children’s University Hospital in Temple Street, Dublin where he died from his injuries last night.

Mr Hayes was also hospitalised but his injuries are not said to be serious.

The area was sealed off overnight while the road remained closed until mid-afternoon yesterday until a forensic collision investigation was completed.

Local councillor Pat Burke said: “It was a terrible shock when the news broke of this tragic accident so close to the family’s home. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this time. The whole community is praying for his family. It’s a tragic loss.”

Gardaí from Scarriff, who have described the incident as a ’sad and tragic accident’ are investigating the cause of the collision but are not seeking witnesses.

Investigating officers believe they know all the circumstances of the accident and have spoken to the passing motorist who came upon the scene.

The boy is the grandson of a well known retired garda who had been stationed for many years in Broadford while his family is well known in the local community particularly in the local GAA club.

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.