Ennis Friary, the old Franciscan Friary on Abbey Street has now re-opened for the 2014 tourist season.
Last year saw a record number of both locals and foreign tourists visiting the heritage site. So far in 2014, there has already been an increase in visitor numbers since the Friary opened on the 4th April.
The Office of Public Works, who manage the site, are encouraging local families to visit during the Easter Holidays because of the recent restoration of the medieval “passion panels”. These panels were carved for a royal tomb built by the McMahon family in the 1400’s and show in exquisite detail various scenes of story of Easter including Christs betrayal, crucifixion and resurrection.
There has also been renewed local interest in the site due to the millennial Celebrations of the Battle of Clontarf as Ennis Friary was the ancient burial place of Brian Boru’s ancestors The O’Brien kings of Thomond.
Ennis Friary is open seven days a week from 10am. Last admission is at 5.15 pm and guided tours are completely free of charge. Weather you are a regular visitor to Ennis Friary, or haven’t been for years, now is the time to visit and learn more about the history of the town’s oldest surviving building.