An elderly woman has died following an apparent gas leak in a camper van in Corofin this afternoon.
The 70-year-old, believed to be a UK national, was found at around 3.00pm today at the popular camper van and camp site. It’s understood the victim was found in her bed.
An ambulance and advanced paramedic unit from Ennis responded to the emergency call however the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
Her dog was discovered in a semi-conscious state and was taken from the scene by the county’s ISPCA dog warden and rushed to a local veterinary clinic.
Three units of the fire brigade also attended the incident while a technical examination was undertaken by garda crime scene investigation officers.
The woman’s body was removed from the scene to University Hospital Limerick where a postmortem examination will be carried out on Wednesday.
Gardaí say they are treating the tragedy as a ‘sudden death’ and there are no suspicious circumstances at this time.