Confusion reigns as permission refused for two Garth Brooks concerts

Confusion reigns as permission refused for two Garth Brooks concerts

SHARE

garth
Hundreds of Clare music fans who bought tickets to see country star Garth Brooks perform in Croke Park have been left in the dark following the decision by Dublin City Council to refuse permission for two of the five planned concerts.

400,000 tickets have already been sold for the five sold-out shows, but it is reported today that only the the concerts on July 25, 26th and 27th will go ahead. Tickets had also been sold for Monday, 28 July, and Tuesday, 29 July.

Dublin City Council said granting permission for all five concerts would have been unprecedented and have posed unacceptable levels of disruption to the local community. The local authority said that a total of 373 submissions were received from members of the public on the licence application.

Reasons cited by Dublin City Council for refusing all 5 concerts:

  •     The scale, magnitude and number of the concerts with an expected attendance of in excess of 80,000 people per night over five consecutive nights, three of them being week nights is unprecedented for Croke Park Stadium.
  •     Three consecutive concerts have already taken place in Croke Park from the 23rd to 25th of May 2014.  Given that Croke Park is situated in a heavily populated residential area, five shows in a row following on from the three concerts already held there this year is considered an over intensification of use of the stadium for the holding of special events/concerts. It would be in effect permitting an increase of 100% in terms of the maximum number of concerts that had previously been held in Croke Park in any given year since the redevelopment of the stadium.
  •     The cumulative effect on residents and on some businesses in the Croke Park and surrounding neighbourhoods, of licencing five shows in a row, three of them on weekdays, would lead to an unacceptable level of disruption to their lives/livelihoods over an unprecedented and prolonged period caused by, concert related noise, access restrictions, traffic disruption, illegal parking and potential antisocial behaviour. The City Council would also be concerned with the precedent that would be created if five consecutive concerts in a row of this scale were licenced.

“Having regard to the submissions/observations received and given the number of mitigation measures proposed by the applicant it is considered reasonable and appropriate that three of the events should take place and these have been licensed for the nights of Friday 25th July 2014, Saturday 26th July 2014 and Sunday the 27th of July 2014 subject to conditions,” the Council said in a statement.

Aiken Promotions have expressed disappointment at the decision.

REACTION ON TWITTER:

SHARE

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY