The Toomeens of Tulla comprise 10 caves spanning a 500m long section of the Kiltannon River from which the Hell River flows into the Parish of Clooney/Quin. The caves are separated from each other by surface collapses which leave 30% of the course of the river above ground. Two stream oxbow lakes and a complex of dry oxbows and side passages add to the overall length of the system.
The Toomeens were far more popular in the early part of the 20th century and in previous centuries than they are today. They were the best known of the Clare caves, even more so than the Aillwee Caves thanks to publicity received in various travel books and from visiting cavers. In J. Lloyd’s “A Short Tour In the County Of Clare” (1780), the author praises their uniqueness and compares them to be as good as other natural sites in Italy and Switzerland.
Pat Harrison will host the presentation on the Toomeen Caves at Tulla Courthouse on Saturday August 23rd from 2.30pm to 3.30pm. Booking is required. Call 086-8662615.
The event is one of 75 Heritage Week events being coordinated by Clare County Council and The Heritage Council, with support from the Department of Arts, Heritage & the Gaeltacht and Fáilte Ireland.
Among the other local events taking place in East Clare from August 23-31st is a heritage garden and orchard trail week at Irish Seed Savers Visitor Centre in Scarriff, a talk & walk on the natural heritage of Lough Derg followed by visit to Mountshannon Pier to view the White-tailed Sea Eagles, a heritage walk in Killaloe, and the Tulla Weekend of the Welcomes.