Jet suffers engine failure over Atlantic

Jet suffers engine failure over Atlantic


Engine fail jet
The jet is surrounded by fire crews with fire hoses at the ready – © Pat Flynn 2014

A business jet made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport yesterday after the crew was forced to shut down one of it’s engines over the Atlantic.

The Canadair Challenger 604 jet, with a total of eight people on board, was west of Ireland when the crew declared an emergency.

The crew reported a problem with one of the jet’s two engines however it wasn’t clear whether the pilot shut down the engine or if it failed in flight.

The jet, owned by Canadian based luxurious jet charter company VIH Execujet Ltd, was en route from to Luton Airport near London to Victoria, British Colombia at the time.

Shannon Airport’s emergency plan implemented and involved alerting the HSE, local authority fire services and gardaí.

Four units of the fire brigade from Shannon Town along with ambulances from Ennis and Limerick were sent to the airport. Two further units of the fire service from Ennis were mobilised to a designated holding point near Dromoland adjacent to the M18 motorway.

The jet touched down safely at 4.52pm and was quickly pursued along the runway by emergency vehicles. The aircraft stopped on the runway for a few minutes before continuing to a parking stand.

The Irish Coast Guard station at Doolin along with the Aran Islands RNLI lifeboat and the Shannon based search and rescue helicopter had been placed on standby as a precaution.

The Canadair Challenger 604 jet touched down safely at 4.52pm – © Pat Flynn 2014
Engine fail jet.
Airport fire crews were backed up by fire and ambulances crews from Shannon, Ennis and Limerick – © Pat Flynn 2014

Fire personnel with water hoses at the ready quickly surrounded the jet after it had parked and remained there for over half and hour.

As many as six inbound aircraft were placed in holding patterns away from the airport so that the emergency aircraft could land first.

At 5.25pm, airport emergency crews were stood down while the local authorities services were also allowed return to their stations.

Engineers were last night investigating the issue.