Missing Shannon teenager located after search

Missing Shannon teenager located after search


Shannon Coast Guard Helicopter - © Pat Flynn 2014
The crew of the Shannon search and rescue helicopter located the missing girl – © Pat Flynn 2014

A 15-year-old girl and a man aged 80 were was found safe and well following separate comprehensive searches.

The teenage schoolgirl was reported missing in Shannon at around 11:45pm on Thursday night after she failed to return home after a night out with friends.

The girl’s family became very concerned and alerted local Gardaí who requested assistance from the Irish Coast Guard.

Volunteers from the Kilkee unit of the Coast Guard and Limerick Marine Rescue along with the Shannon based search and rescue helicopter, Rescue 1-1-5, were asked to assist.

The search was concentrated around the Tullyglass Point and Illaunamanagh areas close to the north short of the River Shannon.

After arriving at the scene from nearby Shannon Airport, the helicopter crew used it’s FLIR infra-red thermal imaging camera to search for heat signatures in open and wooded areas.

Within minutes of arriving in the area, the helicopter identified a heat source in a densely wooded area and alerted ground search teams.

The crew used it’s massive spot light to mark the area and directed ground teams to the location. At around 1.15am, Coast Guard members found the teenager under a tree.

The girl was found to have been uninjured and was escorted back to safety before being reunited with her family.

It’s understood that the missing girl had gone socialising with friends after school on Thursday evening and became disorientated after getting separated from the group.

Meanwhile, earlier on Thursday evening, a search was launched at the Cliffs of Moher in Co Clare for an 80-year-old man who was reported missing.

Family members raised the alarm when the pensioner hadn’t returned to their touring coach when they were due to depart.

Members of the Doolin unit of the Irish Coast Guard along with the Shannon based search and rescue helicopter commenced a land and air search of the area.

A short time later it was confirmed that the man had been found by a member of the public. Coast Guard teams went directly to the location to ensure the man was safe and well.

The man was escorted by to his coach, reunited with his family and was able to continue the trip with his group.

Both search operations were coordinated by staff the Irish Coast Guard sub station at Valentia Island in Kerry.


Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.