Dolores O’Riordan released from hospital

Dolores O’Riordan released from hospital


Lead singer with The Cranberries, Dolores O’Riordan has been released from hospital after she was admitted for assessment following her early morning arrest at Shannon Airport.

The 43-year-old was arrested at Shannon following an alleged disturbance on board an Aer Lingus flight from New York.

EI-110 arrived in Shannon at 4.38am over an hour ahead of schedule.

Ms. O’Riordan was reported to have been disruptive during the late stages of the flight and while the aircraft was taxiing to the terminal. It’s also believed the she left her seat and refused to sit down when instructed to do so.

A female flight attendant attempted to explain to Ms O’Riordan that she would have to retake her seat however Ms O’Riordan is reported to have lashed out and struck the cabin crew member.

Gardaí and airport police personnel were called to the aircraft after it had reached the terminal building.

While the injured flight attendant was taken to the airport’s medical centre for treatment, Ms O’Riordan was arrested and taken to Shannon garda station for questioning. It’s understood she also assaulted a garda at the airport.

The flight attendant sustained an injury to her foot and was later removed by ambulance to University Hospital Limerick where she underwent undergo x-rays.

After Ms O’Riordan was taken to Shannon garda station, she was visited by a doctor who carried out a medical examination.

Gardaí requested a doctor to attend to assess whether Ms O’Riordan was medically fit to be interviewed.

Shortly after 10.00am, Ms O’Riordan was taken to University Hospital Limerick for further assessment.

She was released from hospital and garda custody into the care of her family at around 3.30pm.

Gardaí have confirmed that the investigation into the incident is continuing and that it’s likely a file will be sent to the DPP in due course.

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.