All-Ireland Inter-Firm title for EI Electronics

All-Ireland Inter-Firm title for EI Electronics


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAEI Electronics (Clare) 3-21 Grant Engineering (Offaly) 1-5

EI Electronics from Clare won a first ever All-Ireland Inter-Firm hurling title after an impressive performance to defeat Leinster champions Grant Engineering in the Junior Hurling Final played at UL on Friday night.

EI got a great start when Alex Morey scored a goal inside the first minute after a good run from Davy O’Halloran created the chance that Morey finished well. Grant responded with a point from a free through Cillian Kiely after 2 minutes but this was quickly cancelled out by a point from Aaron Cunningham after he collected a quickly taken short free from Nicky O’Connell. Cathal O’Connell scored his first point on 6 minutes after he received a nice pass from Oisin Hickey.

EI scored their second goal on 9 minutes when Derek Fahy won the ball from a Grant line ball and made a good run and shot to the back of Stephen Guilfoyles net. Cathal O’Connell stretched the lead further on 12 minutes with a pointed free. Fahy turned provider for Hickey to score his first point on 15 minutes. O’Halloran scored a good point from out on the sideline on 17 minutes and EI were now 2-5 to 0-1 in front. Dylan Hayden pulled a point back for Grant on 18 minutes with a good long range point. This was quickly followed by another point from Kiely. EI responded with points from Cathal O’Connell and Morey. Right on half time Grant scored a goal through Brendan Lucas that gave them a lift and hope for a second half comeback with the score at the break EI Electronics 2-7 Grant Engineering 1-3.

A blistering start to the second half from EI killed off this game as a contest. Morey scored 2 points inside the first minute. Cathal O’Connell followed this with another 2 points and O’Halloran then struck a goal on 34 minutes and there was now 14 points between the sides. Grant scored their first point of the half on 35 minutes when Barry Harding made a good run and shot between the posts. O’Halloran replied with a point on 37 minutes. Nicky O’Connell got in on the scoring for EI when he made a great run from center back and scored well on the run from 40 yards out.

A good ball from Cunningham to Morey on 43 minutes was slotted over the bar for another point. A foul on Barry Loughnane on 44 minutes was punished by O’Connell from the resultant free. Two quick points from Cunningham and a fine score from Cathal O’Connell on 47 minutes opened the gap to 21 points. Grant pulled a point back from a free on 49 minutes when Kiely scored his third point of the match. Cathal O’Connell responded on 51 minutes after a long run and shot over the bar.

Fahy scored another point for EI on 53 minutes and Hickey finished off the scoring in the last minute to round off a great victory for the Clare side.

EI Electronics:
Brian Tierney (Newmarket), Dara McNamara (Sixmilebridge), Jamie Roughan (Wolfe Tones), Kevin Fennessy (Sixmilebridge), Paudie O’Looney (Newmarket), Nicky O’Connell (Clonlara) 0-1, David Reynolds (Clooney/Quin), Barry Loughnane (Wolfe Tones), Conor Deacy (Sixmilebridge), Derek Fahy (Sixmilebridge) 1-1, Alex Morey (Sixmilebridge) 1-4, Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones) 0-3, Oisin Hickey (Parteen) 0-2, Davy O’Halloran (Eire Og) 1-2, Cathal O’Connell (Clonlara) 0-8

Dylan Fleming (Sixmilebridge) for Fennessy, Lloyd Wolfe (Cratloe) for Cunningham, Sean O’Grady (Scarrif) for McNamara, Mike Hoey (Tulla) for O’Halloran, Kenneth Keane (Meelick) for O’Connell

Grant Engineering:
Stephen Guilfoyle (Crinkle), Andy McHugh (Drumcullen), Nigel Dooley (Coolderry), Nigel Woods (St Rynaghs), Mark Ryan (Clonakenny), Barry Harding (Birr) 0-1, James Nevin (Meelick/Eyrecourt), Alan Maher (Drumcullen), Dylan Hayden (Birr) 0-1, Joe Maher (Ferbane), Liam Hogan (Meelick/Eyrecourt), Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac-Killoughey) 0-3, Brendan Lucas (Meelick/Eyrecourt) 1-0, Sean Cleary (Shinrone), Brian Troy (Lusmagh)

Peter Troy (Kilcormac-Killoughey) for Hogan, Donal Morkan (Shinrone) for Troy, Dermot Gath (Drumcullen) for Dooley, Barry Gorman (Kilcormac-Killoughey) for Cleary, Martin Hogan (Meelick/Eyrecourt) for Lucas

Referee: Jason Mullins (Limerick)

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.