On This Day In Clare History – 02 July 1972

On This Day In Clare History – 02 July 1972


Seamus Durack.
Seamus Durack.

On this day forty four years ago Clare booked their place in the Munster Senior Hurling Final with a four point win over neighbours Limerick.

Played in front over 13,000 spectators at Cusack Park, the Banner County secured their spot in the provincial decider for the first time in five years with a 3-11 2-10 victory over the Treaty County.

Clare led for the entire game with early first half goals coming from Noel Casey and Jimmy McNamara in the space of four minutes. They went into the dressing-room at half-time leading 2-05 0-03.

Kilnamona’s Michael Keane raised a green flag after the resumption as Clare build up a substantial lead.

With fifty three minutes on the clock Clare led by twelve points. However Limerick would fight back with goals from Eamon Grimes and Éamonn Cregan who fired home in additional time. Despite this pressure the men in Saffron and Blue hung on with goalkeeper Seamus Durack pulling off some vital saves while at the other end a free from Timmy Ryan who finished the tie with a personal tally of seven points sealed the win.

Limerick would bounce back a year later and go on to win the County’s seventh and last All-Ireland title.

Newmarket-on-Fergus had seven representatives on the starting fifteen with one each from Feakle, Tulla, Clarecastle, Crusheen, Sixmilebridge, Kilnamona, Éire Óg and Cratloe.

Clare Team: Seamus Durack (Feakle); Vincent Loftus (Éire Óg), Jim Power (Tulla), Pat Moloney (Clarecastle); D.J. Meehan (Newmarket-on-Fergus), Gus Lohan (Newmarket-on-Fergus) (0-01), Jackie O’Gorman (Cratloe); Pat O’Leary (Newmarket-on-Fergus), Michael Moroney (Crusheen); Jimmy Cullinan (Newmarket-on-Fergus) (0-01), Noel Casey (Sixmilebridge) (1-02), Timmy Ryan (Newmarket-on-Fergus) (0-07); Jimmy McNamara (Newmarket-on-Fergus) (1-00), Michael Keane (Kilnamona) (1-00), Paddy McNamara (Newmarket-on-Fergus). Subs used: Michael Kilmartin (Newmarket-on-Fergus).