Man dies following Shannon nightclub stabbing

Man dies following Shannon nightclub stabbing


A garda crime scene technician at the Shannon Knights where the incident happened.


Monday – 2.25pm – The 19-year-old man arrested in connection with the incident has been released without charge. Gardaí have  confirmed that a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

10.30pm – Gardaí have confirmed that the post mortem examination on the 23-year-old victim was completed this evening, Sunday 18th March 2018.

The victim has been named locally as Jamie Higgins from Limerick.

A 19-year-old man remains in Garda custody. A 22-year-old man injured during this incident is still being treated at University Hospital Limerick, however his injuries are not thought to be life threatening.

Investigations are continuing.

Earlier: One man has died and another is being treated in hospital following a nightclub altercation in Co Clare.

The incident happened at the Shannon Knights nightclub in Shannon Town at around 2.00am.

Two men were stabbed during the incident including a 23-year-old who died later in hospital. The second man, aged 22, is recovering in hospital from non-life threatening injuries.

A third male, aged 19, was arrested soon afterwards and is being detained at Shannon Garda station.

Emergency services were quickly alerted including Shannon fire brigade who were requested to attend and assist National Ambulance Service paramedics.

On arrival, emergency crews found that two men had suffered stab wounds. Both were treated at the scene before being rushed to University Hospital Limerick where one died later.

The scene was preserved overnight and remained sealed off pending completion of a forensic examination.

Local Sinn Féin councillor Mike McKee said: “The whole of Shannon is stunned by this news. After such a wonderful day on Saturday with the parade and the rugby, everyone was in such good spirits but then to wake up to this news is absolutely devastating.”

“We don’t hear of such tragedy in Shannon and it has been many years since we had a tragic death here. Our hearts go out to the families of the dead man and the injured man too,” Cllr McKee added.

Gardaí in Shannon are investigating the circumstances of the incident and have appealed for witnesses.

A spokesman said: “We are appealing for witnesses or anyone with any information and in particular would like to speak to anyone who was in the Shannon Knights Night Club last night.”

Gardaí in Shannon can be contacted on 061 365900, the Garda Confidential Line 1800 666 111 or any Garda station.

A postmortem examination is due to take place this afternoon.

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.