No one hurt in M18 multi-vehicle incident

No one hurt in M18 multi-vehicle incident


Emergency services at the scene of this mornings incident north of Kilcolgan – Photo: © Pat Flynn 2019

A number of people have escaped injury following an incident involving five vehicles on the M18 motorway in Co Galway.

The alarm was raised at around 10.15am when emergency services were alerted to a multi-vehicle collision on the M18 motorway between junctions 17 and 18. The north and south-bound carriageways were affected between Kilcolgan and the M6 interchanged.

Initial emergency calls reported that there had been collision involving a lorry and as many as seven other vehicles. A major multi-agency response was promptly mounted.

Units of the fire brigade from Athenry and Gort responded to the incident along with ambulances from Galway and Clare and several garda units. Senior fire and ambulance service officers also attended.

The Emergency Aeromedical Service (EAS) air ambulance, based in Athlone, was also mobilised to the scene.

On arrival, emergency services established there was no truck involved but that four cars and lost control with some colliding with safety barriers. The incident happened following a recent downpour of hail.

As the northbound lanes reopened, fire crews created a rolling roadblock to lead traffic along the motorway – Photo: © Pat Flynn 2019

Ambulance paramedics assessed the occupants of all the vehicles and established that no one had been injured. Once it was clear that no one had been seriously hurt, the air ambulance was stood down.

Motorway maintenance crews also attended the incident and worked to clear the road motorway of debris and oil. They also assessed damaged caused to crash barriers.

The northbound lanes were reopened about an hour after the collision with restrictions on southbound carriage were lifted a short time later.

Weather warnings remain in place in the area with motorway signs warning of hail showers.

Photo: © Pat Flynn 2019
Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.