An apartment complex in Ennis was evacuated this evening after a fire was reported in the building.
The alarm was raised at around 5.00pm when smoke was detected in an upstairs apartment at the complex in the heart of the town.
A section of the town’s main thoroughfare along with another street were closed to traffic for almost 90 minutes while emergency services dealt with the incident.
The fire broke out in the living area of an apartment on the corner of O’Connell Street and Barrack Street across from Ennis Cathedral. Once the alarm was raised, residents were evacuated from the building.
Three units of the fire brigade from Ennis along with an ambulance and rapid response advanced paramedic unit responded to the scene.
Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus quickly entered the building and carried out a thorough search to ensure there was no one trapped inside.
Firefighters located the fire in the living area of an upper level apartment which was empty. The couple and their young child were out at the time of the fire.
Ambulance paramedics stood by at the scene until fire crews confirmed there was no one in the apartment and no one required treatment.
The fire was confined to the apartment and was quickly brought under control. It’s believed the blaze started in a corner where a television and have resulted from an electrical fault.
No one was injured in the incident and efforts were being made to find accommodation for the affected family.