All-Ireland Inter-Firm title for EI Electronics

All-Ireland Inter-Firm title for EI Electronics


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAEI Electronics (Clare) 3-21 Grant Engineering (Offaly) 1-5

EI Electronics from Clare won a first ever All-Ireland Inter-Firm hurling title after an impressive performance to defeat Leinster champions Grant Engineering in the Junior Hurling Final played at UL on Friday night.

EI got a great start when Alex Morey scored a goal inside the first minute after a good run from Davy O’Halloran created the chance that Morey finished well. Grant responded with a point from a free through Cillian Kiely after 2 minutes but this was quickly cancelled out by a point from Aaron Cunningham after he collected a quickly taken short free from Nicky O’Connell. Cathal O’Connell scored his first point on 6 minutes after he received a nice pass from Oisin Hickey.

EI scored their second goal on 9 minutes when Derek Fahy won the ball from a Grant line ball and made a good run and shot to the back of Stephen Guilfoyles net. Cathal O’Connell stretched the lead further on 12 minutes with a pointed free. Fahy turned provider for Hickey to score his first point on 15 minutes. O’Halloran scored a good point from out on the sideline on 17 minutes and EI were now 2-5 to 0-1 in front. Dylan Hayden pulled a point back for Grant on 18 minutes with a good long range point. This was quickly followed by another point from Kiely. EI responded with points from Cathal O’Connell and Morey. Right on half time Grant scored a goal through Brendan Lucas that gave them a lift and hope for a second half comeback with the score at the break EI Electronics 2-7 Grant Engineering 1-3.

A blistering start to the second half from EI killed off this game as a contest. Morey scored 2 points inside the first minute. Cathal O’Connell followed this with another 2 points and O’Halloran then struck a goal on 34 minutes and there was now 14 points between the sides. Grant scored their first point of the half on 35 minutes when Barry Harding made a good run and shot between the posts. O’Halloran replied with a point on 37 minutes. Nicky O’Connell got in on the scoring for EI when he made a great run from center back and scored well on the run from 40 yards out.

A good ball from Cunningham to Morey on 43 minutes was slotted over the bar for another point. A foul on Barry Loughnane on 44 minutes was punished by O’Connell from the resultant free. Two quick points from Cunningham and a fine score from Cathal O’Connell on 47 minutes opened the gap to 21 points. Grant pulled a point back from a free on 49 minutes when Kiely scored his third point of the match. Cathal O’Connell responded on 51 minutes after a long run and shot over the bar.

Fahy scored another point for EI on 53 minutes and Hickey finished off the scoring in the last minute to round off a great victory for the Clare side.

EI Electronics:
Brian Tierney (Newmarket), Dara McNamara (Sixmilebridge), Jamie Roughan (Wolfe Tones), Kevin Fennessy (Sixmilebridge), Paudie O’Looney (Newmarket), Nicky O’Connell (Clonlara) 0-1, David Reynolds (Clooney/Quin), Barry Loughnane (Wolfe Tones), Conor Deacy (Sixmilebridge), Derek Fahy (Sixmilebridge) 1-1, Alex Morey (Sixmilebridge) 1-4, Aaron Cunningham (Wolfe Tones) 0-3, Oisin Hickey (Parteen) 0-2, Davy O’Halloran (Eire Og) 1-2, Cathal O’Connell (Clonlara) 0-8

Dylan Fleming (Sixmilebridge) for Fennessy, Lloyd Wolfe (Cratloe) for Cunningham, Sean O’Grady (Scarrif) for McNamara, Mike Hoey (Tulla) for O’Halloran, Kenneth Keane (Meelick) for O’Connell

Grant Engineering:
Stephen Guilfoyle (Crinkle), Andy McHugh (Drumcullen), Nigel Dooley (Coolderry), Nigel Woods (St Rynaghs), Mark Ryan (Clonakenny), Barry Harding (Birr) 0-1, James Nevin (Meelick/Eyrecourt), Alan Maher (Drumcullen), Dylan Hayden (Birr) 0-1, Joe Maher (Ferbane), Liam Hogan (Meelick/Eyrecourt), Cillian Kiely (Kilcormac-Killoughey) 0-3, Brendan Lucas (Meelick/Eyrecourt) 1-0, Sean Cleary (Shinrone), Brian Troy (Lusmagh)

Peter Troy (Kilcormac-Killoughey) for Hogan, Donal Morkan (Shinrone) for Troy, Dermot Gath (Drumcullen) for Dooley, Barry Gorman (Kilcormac-Killoughey) for Cleary, Martin Hogan (Meelick/Eyrecourt) for Lucas

Referee: Jason Mullins (Limerick)