Clare Junior Soccer Round-Up

Clare Junior Soccer Round-Up


Action from the Manus Celtic versus Rhine Rovers clash at Lees Road

Oliver Fitzpatrick reviews the weekend soccer action in County Clare.

Munster Junior Cup 4th Round
Glenthorn Celtic 3-2 Ennis Town (AET)
Ennis Town made the long trip on Saturday to Cork City to play Glenthorn Celtic with high hopes and traveled home knowing they had left a victory behind them.

The game was played on a fine astro pitch in Mayfield. Ennis Town started well and played some fine football compared to Glenthorns more direct long ball approach. Both teams had their chances in the first half. Both sides hit the crossbar and both keepers pulled off some fine saves leaving the halftime score 0-0.

Within 5 minutes of the resumption of the second half Ennis Town found themselves a goal down when an innocuous shot from the edge of the box that was heading wide took a wicked deflection off a defenders legs and into the Town net. It got even worse soon after for Ennis Town. A long ball was knocked in over the back four.

Ennis centre half Shane Daniels found himself in a race with the Glenthorn forward and in his attempt to clear the ball the Ennis man knocked he ball over keeper Marty Whelan into the town goal. This shook Ennis Town into life and on 60 minutes it was back to 2-1 when Aaron Fitzgerald hit a sweet left foot shot from the edge of the box past the Celtic keeper.

It got better numerically for Ennis Town when Glenthorn Celtic had a man sent off and Ennis continued to press. Unfortunately Ennis Town had their own man sent to the line with 15 minutes remaining. This opened up the pitch further and Ennis Town were creating chances but could not find a way passed the Glenthorn keeper.

With the game going into added time Ennis management threw Shane Daniels forward and he immediately found himself one on one with the celtic keeper. The keeper again made a great save but the ball deflected into the path of Gary Collins who struck a brilliant half volley to the net, to the joy of the Ennis line. The game went to extra time and both sides had chances to take the victory.

With time up Celtic got a free 25 yards out which was deflected wide for a corner. The final whistle still did not come and from the resultant corner the ball fell to a Celtic played who poked the ball to the Ennis net. The final whistle went soon after Ennis resumed play. Man of the match for Ennis Town was Darryl Eade. Other fine performances from Joe Collins and Marty Whelan.

Ennis Town: Marty Whelan, Ethan Considine,Shane Daniels, Sean O Callaghan, Ritchie Neylon, John Maher, Eoin Keenan, Adrian Walsh, Darryl Eade, Aaron Fitzgerald, Joe Collins. Subs: Eoin Glynn for Keenan, Gary Collins for Walsh, Dylan Ryan for Neylon

Selprint Second Division
Manus Celtic 4-2 Rhine Rovers
Manus Celtic came out on top against Rhine Rovers in an entertaining second division clash at Lees Road on Sunday.

There was drama before the game started when a problem with the goalposts on the astro pitch resulted in it being moved to the grass pitch which had been closed the previous day.

Manus got a great start when Eamon Callinan put them in front on 9 minutes. Two minutes later they scored again when a Shane Considine shot was deflected to the net. Rhine got back in the game before half time when Wayne Ryan pulled a goal back. Manus started the second half brightly and were rewarded on 60 minutes when Callinan scored his second with a well struck shot from outside the box. Rhine responded again on 64 minutes when Joe Brigdale beat the Manus offside to make it 3-2.

Manus had the better of the remainder of the game but were nearly pegged back on 84 minutes when Przemek Strus got some space in the box and Manus keeper Pakie Healy was called on to make a good save.

Manus wrapped up the victory in the last minute when Adam Healy made a good run down the right wing and crossed for David Considine to score his first goal in 8 years which sparked great celebrations among the Manus players and supporters.

Manus Celtic: Pakie Healy, Barry Lynch, Michael Malone, Simon McDonagh, Barry Malone, Adam Healy, Shane Considine, Darren McDonagh, Shane Gleeson, Mikey Geraghty, Eamon Callinan Subs: Emmet Considine, David Considine

Rhine Rovers: Martin O’Mara, Graham O’Connor, Kieran Ryan, John Hassett, Connor Hanrahan, John Paul Considine, Joe Brigdale, Jamie Ivors, Mark Walsh, Hamid Mahmodi, Wayne Ryan Subs: Wayne Burke, Przemek Strus

Suttons Lighting Third Division
Sporting Ennistymon B 3-1 West Clare FC
Sporting Ennistymon continued their good recent form and kept their promotion hopes alive with victory over West Clare FC at Lisdoonvarna on Sunday.

Sporting took the lead on 10 minutes when Sean McConigley broke on the counter and set up Roma Byrne to score. Sporting increased their lead when Darragh Conneely chipped the ball over the West Clare keeper after getting on the end of a corner. Things got better for Sporting as they went 3 up in the first half when some good link up play between the Sporting forwards resulted in Sean McConigley getting in on the scoring.

West Clare pulled one back before half time when Sporting were themselves caught on the counter and Paul Kelly clipped the West Clare winger in the box and he struck home the resultant penalty. The second half began with West Clare attacking and Sporting defending for a period. West Clare failed to score a second with a strong Sporting defence of Keane, Toomey, Conneely and Daire Crowe performing very well along with keeper Richard Leigh.

Sporting were always dangerous on the break and nearly scored a fourth through Paul Kelly but his effort was deemed not to have crossed the line after the West Clare keeper made a great save. This victory puts Sporting level on points with West Clare and 1 point behind Corofin who are in second place.

Sporting Ennistymon B:
Richard Leigh, Milo Keane, Stephen Toomey, Darragh Conneely, Daire Crowe, Paul Kelly, Brian Foudy, Sean Crowe, Jamesy McConigley, Sean McConigley, Roma Byrne Subs: Steven Wall for Conneely (inj), Ciarán Flanagan for Sean Crowe, Dani Alramahi for Kelly

Coole FC 4-2 Kilmaley Fern Celtic
Coole FC went 9 points clear at the top of the Third Division after goals from Kyle McCarthy (2), Fergus Tuohy and Enda Craddock helped defeat Kilmaley at Gort on Sunday.

FAI Youths Cup Round 3
Herbertstown 5-0 Burren Utd
Burren’s run in the FAI Youths Cup came to a disappointing end on a heavy pitch in Co. Limerick. The home side were hot favourites as they featured several of the Limerick youths squad and after an even first quarter when both sides created half-chances they established dominance in midfield. They scored as a result of set-pieces in the 25th, 30th and 45th minutes leaving Burren with a huge task. Burren took the game to them in the second half but never managed to seriously disturb an outstanding back four. The Burren defence were still under pressure and after making fine saves keeper Cathal Guerin was injured in the concession of a fourth goal on 75 minutes. Sub keeper Conor Shannon was also busy as Herbertstown closed the game out with a late fifth goal to deservedly advance to the next round.

Burren Utd: Cathal Guerin; Jack Sheedy, Pauric Kelly. Ryan Burke, Austin Moloney; Joseph McGann, Alan Sweeney, Colm O Brien, Tomas Cullinan, Evan Barrett; Rowan Danaher. Subs: James Howard for Sweeney, Crebhan Hughes for Sheedy, Conor Shannon for Guerin (inj)