Man arrested after Shannon flight bomb hoax

Man arrested after Shannon flight bomb hoax


A man was arrested after he claimed he had a bomb on board a flight from Poland to Shannon on Monday night.

The 33-year-old man was detained after police officers boarded a Shannon bound flight that was forced to make an emergency landing at Berlin Schönefeld airport in Germany.

The man is reported to have made threats on board the late night service claiming several times that he had a bomb.

Flight FR-3326, a scheduled Ryanair service from Krakow in Poland to Shannon Airport, was just north of Dresden when the crew decided to make an emergency diversion requesting security services to be available on arrival at about 10.15pm Irish time.

The jet descended from 36,000 feet towards the airport and made a single circuit to lose altitude before landing safely.

Special Forces personnel attached to the Federal Police service carried out a detailed search of the Boeing 737-800 jet after all the passengers had disembarked and were taken to the terminal.

No bomb was found during the search that lasted several hours. The flight was later cleared to depart and arrived in Shannon shortly before 5.00am yesterday (Tuesday) five hours behind schedule.

The man was questioned by German police and faces several criminal charges.

Ryanair spokesman Robin Kielysaid: “The flight from Krakow to Shannon diverted to Berlin following a hoax security alert. Customers disembarked while the aircraft was inspected by police, who detained one individual, before the aircraft was cleared to depart for Shannon.”

Ryanair sincerely apologised to all customers affected by this delay to their journey, however the safety of our customers, crew and aircraft is our number one priority. This is now a matter for German police,” the airline confirmed.

© Pat Flynn 2015
The scene of the 2003 bomb hoax involving flight FR-107 at Shannon – © Pat Flynn 2015

In February 2003, passengers on board a Ryanair flight from London to Shannon found themselves at the centre of a security alert.

A phone call from a pub in Dublin claimed there was a bomb on board flight FR-107 from Stansted.

After landing at Shannon, the jet was directed to a remote parking standing where emergency services were standing by. The 123 passengers disembarked on the tarmac and were taken by bus to the terminal.