Two diversions to Shannon Airport

Two diversions to Shannon Airport


Photo: © Pat Flynn 2016
British Airways flight 294 at the terminal in Shannon after diverting – Photo: © Pat Flynn 2016

Two flights diverted to Shannon Airport on Thursday while another aircraft suffered engine problems while training.

British Airways flight BA-294 diverted to Shannon after being delayed for several hours earlier in Chicago. The flight was due in London at 7.45am however aircraft diverted to Shannon Airport even though passengers were told it would land in Manchester.

A British Airways spokesperson confirmed that the aircraft diverted into Shannon to refuel following a delay in Chicago. However, soon after the passengers had disembarked, the Boeing 747-400 Jumbo Jet was towed to a remote taxiway.

Shortly after 2.30pm, a replacement aircraft arrived in Shannon and the passengers eventually continued their journey to London at 4.15pm.

A second flight diverted to Shannon last night after declaring a medical emergency.

EL AL flight 004 was travelling from New York to Tel Aviv at the time. The Boeing 747 jet landed at 9.15pm and was able to continue its journey about two hours later.

A passenger was assessed at the airport by paramedics before being removed to hospital for treatment.

Photo: © Pat Flynn 2016
An EL AL Boeing 747 during a previous diversion to Shannon – Photo: © Pat Flynn 2016

Meanwhile, emergency services were scrambled after a flight that had been training at the airport suffered an engine problem.

The CityJet Avro RJ-85 had just commenced training circuits at the airport when the crew stopped on the runway and reported an issue with one of the jets engines.

Airport crash crews raced to meet the aircraft on the runway an inspected the engine which the crew believed was overheating.

The plane was able to taxi to a parking area where engineers were waiting to investigate the issue.

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.