O’Gorman leads Munster to glory

O’Gorman leads Munster to glory


Evan O'Gorman raises the Interpro title aloft. Pic: Munster Rugby Supporters Club
Evan O’Gorman raises the Interpro title aloft. Pic: Munster Rugby Supporters Club

Shannon teenager Evan O’Gorman had the honour of captaining Munster as they claimed the U18 Interpro title for the first time in thirteen years.

Munster overcame the challenge of Connacht in the decider 35-17 played in the Sportsground at the weekend. Evan who also plays with Young Munster got an important try before half-time to put them in front. Ennis’ Ikem Ugwuru also ran under the posts, he scored the final try for Munster as his grubber kick got the better of the Connacht defence and he had the pace to get past them before running over for Brendan O’Connor’s side fifth try.

Aaron Hennessy of Ennis featured for the first forty two minutes of the contest with the prop picking up his first medal in the Munster jersey. Shannon’s Alan McInerney completed the Clare contingent on the squad, he was sprung from the bench for the final twenty five minutes.

Munster U18 Clubs: Conor Hayes (Young Munster RFC), Ikem Ugwuru (Ennis RFC), Joe O’Connor (Tralee RFC), Evan O’Gorman (Young Munster RFC) (C), Tom Hanley (Charleville RFC); Harry Byrne (Garryowen FC), Nick O’Donoghue (Waterpark RFC); Aaron Hennessy (Ennis RFC), Derry Gleeson (Garryowen FC), Fionn Flanagan (Bruff RFC); Charlie Murphy (Dungarvan RFC), Evan Murphy (Nenagh Ormond RFC); Ross McCormack (Fethard & District RFC), Shane Brosnahan (Young Munster RFC), John Hodnett (Clonakility RFC).

Replacements: Harry Donnelly (Waterpark RFC) for Hennessy 42 min), Paudie McCarthy (Bantry RFC) for Gleeson (45), Ryan Lenihan (Sundays’s Well RFC) for Flanagan (50), Sam Kroupa (Nenagh Ormond RFC) for Evan Murphy (52), Alan McInerney (Young Munster RFC) for Charlie Murphy (56), Aaron Hehir (Shannon RFC) for O’Donoghue (60), Ben Daly (Waterpark RFC) for Byrne (62), Joe Quilter (Tralee RFC) for Hanley (65).