Shannon Town go three points clear in Premier Division

Shannon Town go three points clear in Premier Division


bridge-utd-vs-shannon-town-11-09-16-17Oliver Fitzpatrick looks back on the weekend’s soccer action.

Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division
Shannon Town A 1-0 Bridge Utd A

Shannon Town went 3 points clear at the top of the Clare Premier Division with victory over Bridge Utd at Lynch Park on Sunday. In a game where it was tough to play football in the windy conditions it took an 85th minute winner from substitute Evan Barry to inflict a first defeat in the league on Bridge in over two years and make it seven wins from seven games for the Shannon side.

Bridge had the first chance on 20 minutes when Alan Mulready got on the end of a Kieran Quinlan corner and narrowly missed the target. Mulready went close again on 35 minutes with a shot from outside the box that went over the bar. Bridge went very close to going in front on 42 minutes when a cross from Jonathan Downes changed direction in the strong wind and Padraig Hickey was happy to see the ball go narrowly wide of the target.

A good move from the home side right on half time saw Chris Lake break from the back but his effort from the left wing was cut out by Darren Murphy at the expense of a corner. The corner was cleared and the sides went in at the break 0-0.

The second half was a lot more open as both sides went in search of a goal. Chris Lake went close for Shannon Town on 47 minutes with a cross that rebounded off the crossbar. Bridge had two great chances inside a minute to go in front on 50 minutes.

First Eoghan Pewter got on the end of a Lee Wall cross and was denied by a good save from Padraig Hickey, who pushed the header out for a corner. Kieran Quinlan delivered a good ball to the back post and it was met by a free header by Darragh Fitzgerald who was denied by a goal line clearance from Jamie Cullen.

Shannon Town hit the woodwork for the second time on 63 minutes when Jack Kelly got on the end of corner from Rob Wall and his header hit the crossbar and went over. Shannon Town finished the game strong with substitutes Aaron Rudd, Gary O’Connell and Evan Barry giving them more of a threat in attack in the closing stages.

With five minutes left on the clock Evan Barry struck the all important winning goal with a great strike from just inside the box. One last chance for Bridge fell to Quinlan from a free kick but his effort went over the bar and Shannon Town saw the game out for an important win in the title race.

Shannon Town A: Padraig Hickey, Jack Kelly, Chris Lake, Derek Byrne, Darren Griffin, Jamie Cullen, Josh Lyndsey, Evan Glynn, Colin Scanlon, Rob Wall, Kieran Hackett. Subs: Evan Barry for Scanlon, Gary O’Connell for Hackett, Aaron Rudd for Wall

Bridge Utd A: Paul Touhy, Jonathan Downes, Jason Whyte, Darren Murphy, Eoin Guinan, Alan Mulready, Kieran Quinlan, Darragh Fitzgerald, Eoghan Pewter, Brian O’Connor, Lee Wall. Subs: Mikey McNamara for Pewter, Derek Fahy for O’Connor, Jonny Okoro for Wall, Christy Carey for Mulready

Referee: Pa Gleeson

Ennis Town A 3-2 Tulla Utd A

Ennis Town A had a narrow win against Tulla Utd A on an extremely windy morning at Lees Road on Sunday. Conditions were difficult for both teams but Town started the better, going 1-0 up after 15 minutes with Gary Green cutting in and winning the penalty that Joe Collins converted.

Tulla had more of the play in the middle part of the half and scored through an unfortunate own goal from Gerry Dullaghan, following a cross from Tulla’s left wing, to ensure the sides went in level at half time. Tulla started the second period somewhat brighter and scored from a corner on 50 minutes.

Play was end-to-end with chances for both sides and Town equalised through a Joe Collins free kick on 65 minutes. Again this the game was quite open, but Town retained better possession in the final quarter of the match and took all 3 points after Rory Brennan raced onto a through ball and placed a cool finish past the Tulla keeper in injury time.

Ennis Town A: Ethan Kelly, Ultan Shiels, Shane O’Connor, Shane Daniels, Gerry Dullaghan, Steven Jordan, John Mulcahy, Eoin Keenan, Gary Green, Joe Collins, Ciaran Mac Mathúna. Subs: Adrian Walsh, Nicky Ryan, Steven Horgan, Rory Brennan, Sean Collins

Referee: John Grier

Avenue Utd A 1-1 Corofin Harps A
Corfin went in front in the second half when Shane Constable got on the end of a clearance from David Phillips and scored with a header from 30 yards with assistance from the strong breeze. Avenue earned a share of the points with a late goal from Gavin Cooney.

Referee: Mark Rellis

First Division League
Bridge Utd B 2-2 Kilkishen Celtic
Bridge Utd and Kilkishen played out a good competitive match on Sunday in Bunratty. Kilkishen had the better of the early chances with the bridge keeper making a couple of good saves from close range denying Billy Donavon twice. Kilkishen got the break they deserved mid way through the half when to ball fell to Ben McLoughlan inside the box and he finished nicely into the bottom corner. Bridge Utd responded quickly scoring two goals before half time to go in 2-1 at half time.

Kilkishen Celtic brought on Mark Pewter at half time and it wasn’t long before he made an impact been denied by another great save from the Bridge keeper. Kilkishen finally got the equaliser they deserved 5 minutes from the end when Pewter was brought down on the edge of the box. The resulting free kick was smashed home by Ben McLoughlan for his second of the game and the game ended 2-2.

Kilkishen Celtic: Killian Nugent, Micheal Fleming, Noel Nash, Jonathan Lyons, Ian Donnellan, Chris Philpott, Shane McInerney, Paul Murphy, Colm McHugh, Billy Donavon, Ben McLoughlan.

Referee: Flan Sheedy

Mountshannon Celtic 2-3 Newmarket Celtic B

Newmarket went top of the First Division after claiming all three points thanks to a flurry of first half goals in victory over Mountshannon Celtic at McDonough Park on Sunday. Mountshannon started the brighter and were unfortunate to have a goal disallowed early on for offside.

However, they did take the lead after 20 minutes when William Glass converted from close range. Within five minutes, the hosts responded with a free kick by Michael Crosby from 20 yards that nestled in the bottom left corner. Newmarket then took the lead when a set piece was headed across the area before being nodded home by Danny Conway. Ciaran McCoy put some daylight between the sides before the half time whistle with an excellent finish.

The second half saw a number of chances at both ends. Mountshannon did convert one of their opportunities after 80 minutes when Glass fired powerfully low into the home goal to ensure a nervous finish for Newmarket. However Mountshannon’s chances were dealt a blow in the closing stages when they were reduced to 10 men after Niall Dear picked up a second yellow card. Newmarket finished the game on top to earn a deserved victory on the day.

Mountshannon Celtic: Andrew O’Dwyer, Martin Cunningham, Niall Dear, John Scanlan, Michael Barrett, Cathal Moloney, Colm Kavanagh, Lukas Trocewicz, Niall Minogue, William Glass, Oran Scanlan

Newmarket Celtic B: Brian Tierney, Brandon Cullinan, Conor Ryan, Eoin Kelly, Paudie Hayes; Danny Conway, Michael Crosby, Seamus Considine, Martin Mulqueen, Kieran Crosby; Ciaran McCoy. Subs: Damien McAuley for McCoy, Ronan McAuley for Hayes

Referee: James Ferns

Avenue Utd B 0-5 Moher Celtic
Moher continued their good start to the season with a dominant performance against Avenue Utd B at a windy Roslevan pitch on Sunday. Moher played against the wind in the first half and took the lead early when Jimin Dooley scored. Moher doubled their lead when John Kerin turned and struck from 35 yards into the bottom corner off his left. Moher got their third on 65 minutes when John Kerin played Jimin Dooley through on goal and Dooley finished well. The fourth came when Brian Leyden played a through ball the length of the pitch and put it on a plate for Michael Davenport which killed the game as a contest. With time nearly up Kerin scored his second with a good header to leave it 5 nil to the visitors.

Selprint Second Division
West Clare FC 1-4 Rhine Rvs
Goals from Radek Junior Makuňa (2), Massimo Coote and Johnny Hasset gave Rhine Rovers a good victory on the day.

Rineanna Rovers 4-0 Kilmaley Fern Celtic
Goals from Paul Butler (2), Dion Khetan and Danny Sweeney made it two wins from two for Rineanna in the league.

Suttons Lighting Third Division
Shannon Olympic B 2-6 Shannon Hibs
Pa Devaney scored a hat trick while Gavin McPhillips (2) and Andy Fitzgerald also got in on the scoring as Shannon Hibs continued their impressive start to the season. Fitzgerald also had a penalty saved by Ruairi Price in the Olympic goals.

Corofin Harps B 0-4 Sporting Ennistymon B
Goals from Roma Byrne, Nathan Garrihy, Tiernan Hogan and Eoin Marrinan gave Sporting Ennistymon B a good away victory over Corofin on Sunday.

Bunratty Cratloe 1-4 Shannon Town B
Goals from Gary O’Brien, Kevin Cahill, Scott Lynch and an own goal keeps Shannon Town B top of the Third Division.

Moher Celtic B 2-1 Shannon Town C
Moher Celtic B went in front early in the second half when a well delivered corner from Ian White was deflected into his own net by a Shannon Town defender. Shannon Town drew level with a great free kick from Gary Cusack. Moher won the game White sent in another good delivery from a corner that went all the way to the back of the Shannon Town net.