Jet diverts to Shannon with cracked windscreen

Jet diverts to Shannon with cracked windscreen


The shattered co-pilot’s windscreen that forced the flight to divert to Shannon.


7.25pm – The passengers continued their journey at 6.41pm after a replacement Boeing 767-300 jet was flown in from London.

12.59pm – The passengers will continued their journey to Newark this evening.

Earlier: A transatlantic passenger jet has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport after suffering a cracked windscreen over the Irish Sea.

United flight UA-56 was travelling from Paris to Newark in the US at the time. There were 188 passengers and crew on board.

The Boeing 767-300 jet was east of Belfast when the crew declared an emergency at around 9.30am. The crew opted to divert to Shannon even though they were closer to Dublin at the time.

Emergency procedures were quickly implemented at Shannon Airport ahead of the aircraft’s arrival.

United flight 56 arriving at Shannon this morning – Photo: © Pat Flynn 2017

Three units of Shannon Fire Service were mobilised to the airport in support of the airport’s own Fire and Rescue Service while two additional appliances from Ennis fire station took up positions at a designated holding point close to the M18 at Dromoland.

Several ambulances and Garda units were also sent to the airport as a precaution.

The flight landed safely at 10.13am and stopped on a taxiway for a time where an inspection was carried out by fire crews. The jet was then towed to terminal where passengers were deplaned.

Efforts are now being made to get the passengers to their destination while the aircraft will be grounded at Shannon until a windshield change can be completed.

A United spokesman said: “Our team at Shannon Airport is providing assistance to customers of flight UA56 (Paris-New York/Newark) which diverted to Shannon Airport today (February 27, 2017) because of a cracked windscreen. The aircraft landed safely at 10.50 a.m. (local time) and customers are scheduled to re-depart Shannon Airport today.  We apologise to our customers for the inconvenience caused.”

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.