Clare County Council has received confirmation from the Department of Arts, Heritage, Regional, Rural & Gaeltacht Affairs of its decision to allocate €323,000 in funding for 9 local Road Safety and Play Area schemes under the CLÁR Programme as part of the Government’s Action Plan for Rural Development.al Development.
€81,510 has been collectively allocated to Kilnamona National School (€25,110), Ogonnelloe National School (€50,000) and Ballynacally Tidy Towns Committee (€6,400) in order to carry out road safety improvement measures in their areas, while €241,622 has been collectively allocated to Kilshanny National School (€19,779), Broadford and Kilbane National School (€50,000), Ballyea National School (€50,000), Iniscealtra National School (€47,273), Lakyle National School (€50,000) and Connolly National School (€24,570) under Measure 2 of the Scheme which funds the provision of play areas.
Welcoming the announcement, Councillor Bill Chambers, Cathaoirleach of Clare County Council, congratulated the schools and community groups that will benefit from the funding.
Pat Dowling, Chief Executive of Clare County Council, acknowledged the work and commitment of schools and community groups in developing their respective areas.
“Clare County Council has been instrumental in securing this funding for much needed facilities and road safety improvement works right across the county and I wish to sincerely thank the Department for its support. Schemes, like CLÁR, are very important to rural areas and we intend to continue to pitch for funding from national schemes which will benefit rural areas and assist in realising the Rural Development Strategy for County Clare.”
Measure 1 – Support for Schools/Community Safety Measures
– Kilnamona National School – Revised layout for the approach roads to the school and the church including new road markings and signage. Improve surface at the Community Centre including drainage. Provide lighting in the parking area adjacent to the community centre and rear of the church
– Ogonnelloe National School – The provision of speed safety signs, upgrading of road markings, construction and upgrading of access footpaths, car parking facilities to access community facilities
– Ballynacally Tidy Towns Committee – Provision of speed safety signs .
Measure 2 – Play Areas
– Kilshanny National School – 85m2 playground with sensory equipment. Equipment to include ship with ladder access, chalk board and other sensory boards
– Broadford and Kilbane National School – 220m2 sensory play yard and a 1200m2 astro turf play area
– Ballyea National School – School playground to include trim trail equipment, climbing frames, slides, roundabouts and soft surfacing
– Iniscealta National School – Installation of astro turf pitch to include ground preparation, shock pad installation, astro turf, perimeter fencing and ball stop
– Lakyle National School – Installation of an all-weather playing pitch (astro-turf) pitch in the school field
– Connolly National School – Installation of a soft safety surface and playground equipment including playground markings.