Three gardaí were treated for smoke inhalation after they rescued an unconscious man from an apartment fire in Co Clare this morning.
The man, who was the sole occupant of the flat, was also treated at the scene but refused to travel to hospital.
The fire broke out at an apartment in the Kincora complex in Shannon at around 2.30am.
A neighbour raised the alarm and local gardaí arrived at the scene within minutes. Officers had to force their way into the property to search for any occupants.
Members located an ‘unresponsive man’ lying on a couch and pulled him to safety.
Two units of the fire brigade from Shannon Town also responded to the incident and quickly set about tackling the blaze.
In the meantime, fire service first responders administered oxygen to the gardaí while they waited for an ambulance to arrive.
The gardaí were also assessed at the scene by paramedics but did not require hospitalisation. The man they saved was also treated at the scene but declined to travel to hospital.
Superintendent Brendan McDonagh praised his officers for their efforts.
“I wish to commend the quick and professional response of our members from Shannon and the bravery they showed. They no doubt saved this man’s life,” Supt’ McDonagh said.
Gardaí have confirmed they are treating the fire as accidental.