Man in court following Kilkee death

Man in court following Kilkee death

SHARE

Robbie Walsh, wearing a grey hoodie, arriving in court this morning – Photo: © Clare Herald 2017

A 21-year-old man has appeared in court charged in connection with the death of another man in Kilkee early on Sunday morning.

Robbie Walsh from Island View Kilrush appeared before Judge Marie Keane at Ennis District Court this morning. Mr Walsh was charged with assault causing serious harm to Karl Haugh contract Section 4 of the Non-fatal Offences Against the Person Act 1997.

25-year-old Mr Haugh from Marion Estate in Kilkee died in hospital following the incident.

Garda David King gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution confirming he arrested the accused at 17.53 on August 7th. Gda King told the court that in response to the charge, Mr Walsh said: “No one was meant to die that night.”

Inspector Tom Kennedy told the court that the State would be objecting to bail while Detective Sergeant Padraig Frawley outlined An Garda’s reason for opposing bail including details of events on the night of the incident.

In applying for bail on behalf of her client, Solicitor Edel Ryan told Judge Keane the Mr Walsh had no passport and so was not a flight risk.

 

Ms Ryan also told the Judge that her client had been cooperative with Gardaí and “would continue to do so to the best of his ability” and would agree to any bail terms imposed by the court.

Judge Keane rejected the bail application and ordered that all appropriate interventions be afforded to the accused.

Mr Walsh was remanded in custody and is due before the court again on Monday next.

SHARE
Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY