Jet diverts to Shannon with technical issue

Jet diverts to Shannon with technical issue


The incident aircraft departing Shannon following a previous visit – File Photo: © Pat Flynn 2018

A transatlantic flight has been grounded at Shannon Airport and passengers sent to hotels for the night while airline engineers are flown in from the UK to carry out repairs.

Air Transat flight TS-700 diverted to Shannon this morning after the crew reported a technical issue.

The Airbus A310 jet was travelling from Montreal in Canada to Prague in the Czech Republic at the time. There were 201 passengers and crew on board.

The flight landed safely shortly after 8.00am and was met by airport fire and rescue crews.

The airline told passengers that engineers would have to be flown into from the UK to investigate the issue as the airline does not have staff based at Shannon.

An airline spokeswoman confirmed: “Flight TS700 diverted to Shannon Airport, Ireland due to technical problems. No emergency was declared. The aircraft, an Airbus A310, landed without any problem and safety of our 201 passengers was never compromised.”

“Passengers were offered meal vouchers for breakfast and transferred to hotels. A travel credit compensation will also be offered,” the airline added.

The flight is due to continue its journey at 9.30am on Wednesday.

File Photo: © Pat Flynn 2017

Separately, two passengers were taken to hospital after their scheduled flight to Shannon landed this morning.

The crew of United Airlines flight 25 alerted airport authorities in advance of their arrival to request that emergency medical services be alerted and standing by. Two ambulances and a rapid response advance paramedic unit were waiting for the aircraft when it landed at 10.30am.

The two women, who complained of feeling unwell, were assessed at the airport before being removed to University Hospital Limerick for treatment.

Neither is believed to be seriously ill.


Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.