Clare County Fire & Rescue Service is urging members of the public to remain fire safety aware during the Christmas period.
The Fire Service says the main causes of fire during the festive season are candles left unprotected, fairy lights left on all night or improperly wired, Christmas trees falling over, open fires without fireguards, and decorations catching fire.
He added, “Christmas is a time for celebrating with families but it also is a time when extra fire hazards appear such as fairy lights, candles, open fires and decorations. I encourage householders across Clare to think about fire safety ahead of and during the Christmas period to avoid the risk of their Christmas being ruined.”
“Open fires are used for longer periods during the winter and Christmas period as people spend a lot more time at home. Electrical items and extension leads are also used more. Add in flammable decorations, candles and alcohol and it becomes apparent that the risks increase during the festive season,” stated Mr. Kelly.
FIRE SAFETY TIPS:
– Install a smoke alarm and check it weekly.
– Always use a proper candleholder and make sure the candle fits firmly inside it. Leave plenty of space above and around the candle and candleholder
– Keep candles away from curtains, Christmas cards and anything that can catch fire
– Never leave candles unattended or go to sleep when they are alight
– Make sure your Christmas tree has a good base or is attached to the wall. Remember that trees dry out and make very good fuel to start a fire.
– Be careful with any decorations placed near the fireplace
– Visit any elderly neighbours. Smoke alarms make good presents as they are for life…saving life.
– In the event of a fire in your home “Get Out, Stay Out And Call the Fire Brigade Out”. The Fire Service can be contacted by dialling 999/112.
– Follow Clare County Council on Twitter (@clarecoco), Facebook (clarecountycouncil) and Instagram (clarecountycouncil) for more fire safety tips.