Harps off to a winning start in Premier Division

Harps off to a winning start in Premier Division


iNCH cOROFIN7It was a perfect start to the season for Corofin Harps as they took all three points in a closely contested match.

Jamesy McConigley reports

Corofin Harps A 4
Ennis Town A 2
Venue: Corofin

Ennis Town started the brighter and scored with three minutes on the clock from the boot of Rory Brennan. Twenty minutes later they were awarded a penalty following a challenge by Fiachra Roche. Queue debutant David Philips to get down smartly to turn away Richie Neylon’s penalty attempt.

Philips was called into action again ten minutes later to divert a well driven shot from the goal. On the thirty fifth minute, Ennis Town grabbed themselves a second when Neylon finished well to the net. The Townies were in cruise control but then they handed Corofin a lifeline, Brian Mc Gauren was fouled just outside the area and from the resulting free kick, Brazilian, Junior whipped his effort past the Ennis Town keeper. That would be the last action of the half, Ennis Town holding a slight advantage.

Corofin enjoyed some possession early on in the second half and it paid dividends, Ronnie Meere’s long through ball fell to Abners feet who duly curled his effort into the Ennis side’s top corner. Corofin were reduced to 10 men when Brian Halpin was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Ronnie Meer who had a sturdy performance for the North Clare side crossed a dangerous ball into the Ennis Town area and was met by Junior for his second and his sides third. Ten minutes from time the tie was put to bed, great intricate work from Mikey Daly who fittingly set up Junior for his hat-trick.

Both sides were missing key players due to Gaelic Football and travelling commitments but still did enough to provide an enjoyable match for a neutral.

Corofin Harps: David Phillips, Ronnie Meere, Brian McGauren, Fiachra Roche, Brian Halpin, Tola Crowe , Anber, Darrell Bane, Junior , John Sherlock, Alex. Subs: Hugh O Donnell, Mikey Daly, David Hannon

Referee: Martin O’Brien