Avenue have too much for Sporting

Avenue have too much for Sporting


avenue-utd-vs-sporting-ennistymon-13The Clare Herald looks back on the latest soccer action from the County with reports from Jamesy McConigley, Barry Downes and Oliver Fitzpatrick.

Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division
Avenue Utd A 4
Sporting Ennistymon A 1

Avenue’s rejuvenation mission continues as they swept Sporting Ennistymon aside with a 4-1 victory in Roslevan on Sunday.

After a scrappy opening, Avenue carved out the game’s first chance and David Fitzgerald did well to cling onto Ronan Kerin’s towering header from a Jamie Roche cross.

The home team dominated early possession but couldn’t break down the sturdy Sporting defence. Queue Kieran Thynne, his hammered effort arrowed into the top corner helping his side in front. Avenue didn’t let up and could have doubled their lead but Kerin’s shot was delth by the huge frame of Fitzgerald in the Sporting goal.

Sporting almost responded before the break, Sean Mc Conigley dispossessed Kaylan O’Loughlin and rounded Barry Ryan but Ryan did well to halt McConigley netting. The visitors were on the attack again after the restart, Sean Driscoll crossed for Jamesy McConigley but he couldn’t keep his header on target. Sporting’s assault continued and Ciaran Monaghan’s accurate free-kick was easily stopped by Avenue’s number one. With an hour played, Avenue gifted Sporting a lifeline, Driscoll’s through ball was flicked on by Sean Mc Conigley and subsequently was up-ended by the on-rushing Ryan, he picked himself up to coolly side footed to the corner and restore parity.

Sporting lost Jamesy McConigley after a nasty collision and within minutes Avenue scored a second. Ronan Kerin attacked the ball to bury a header into the top corner. On the 82 minute, Jamie Roche assisted Gavin Cooney to head to an empty net and Mark Roche rounded up the win as he converted from the spot to help Avenue to four wins in eight games.

Avenue Utd A: Barry Ryan, Pa McDaid, David Herlihy, Conor Mullen, Shaun O’Flanagan, Kaylan O’Loughlin, Sean Doherty, Kieran Thynne, Ronan Kerin, Mark Roche, Jamie Roche. Subs: Ikem Ugwueru for Doherty, Gavin Cooney for O’Loughlin, Cian Bourke for Kerin

Sporting Ennistymon : David Fitzgerald, Joe Gallagher, Mark Burke, Michael O’Dwyer, Tom McConigley, Michael Leigh, Ciaran Monaghan, Jamesy McConigley, Sean McConigley, Cathal McConigley, Sean O’Driscoll. Subs: Patrick O’Dwyer for Jamesy McConigley (inj)

Referee: Pa Gleeson

Munster Junior Cup Round 1
Shannon Olympic A 6-1 Ennis Town B
From the first whistle Shannon Olympic came out of the blocks carrying on with the momentum of the performance against Bridge Utd last week in the second half. Shannon took the ball down on a blustery Lees Road pitch and played ball on the ground. It was only 2 minutes in when they had their first chance with a great through ball by Jason Regan found Ray Quigley but the striker was denied by a good save from the Ennis keeper.

However it didn’t take too much longer for him to open the scoring after a great piece of play on the wing by Sean Burke found Jason Regan in the centre who played a great through ball to Quigley who made no mistake as he placed his shot past the keeper. Shannon piled on the pressure restricting Ennis Town to their own half for most of the first half.

In the 30th minute good play found Wayne Regan in an advanced position and a great through ball found Quigley who finishd well for his and Olympic’s second. In the 44th minute good pressing play from Olympic saw Ryan Kelly win the ball and finish well for Olympic’s third. Straight form the kick-off Olympic won the ball back and Quigley finished well to completed his hat-trick and leave it 4-0 to Olympic at the break.

The second half started off as the first ended with Olympic on top. In the 62nd minute Quigley was brought down in their box and Sean Burke converted the penalty. Ennis Town responded with a great finish from a free kick to make it 5-1. However Olympic finished strong and in the 85th minute a great forward pass from Jason Regan found Quigley who squeesed his shot pass the keeper for his fourth and Olympic’s sixth. On the day it was a good performance from Olympic who can look forward to taking on Shannon Hibs or Sporting Ennistymon in the next round.

Shannon Olympic A: Jason Carmody, Rory O’Connell, David O’Flaherty, Dean Power, Benjamin Cantillon, Wayne Regan, Derek Maxwell, Jason Regan, Seán Burke, Ryan Kelly, Ray Quigley. Subs: Terry O’Donnell for Rory O’Connell, Rachid Amallah for Ryan Kelly

Bridge United A 2-0 Bridge Celtic
First half goals from Kieran Quinlan and Kevin Kelly secured Bridge Uniteds route to round 2 in blustery LIT conditions on Sunday afternoon. The opening quarter had little or no clear cut chances but United dominated possession.

In the 22nd minute Kevin Kelly crossed from the left and found Kieran Quinlan who headed home from 12 yards out. Kelly doubled the lead on 36 minutes following some great work down the right by Trevor Maxwell whose cross was initially dealt with but when it fell to Kelly at edge of the box he made no mistake rifling to roof of net. The second period was largely spoiled by the blustery conditions as United held on for a deserved victory on the day.

Bridge Utd A: Paul Touhy, Jay Whyte, Eoin Guinan, Darren Murphy, Kevin Kelly, Alan Mulready, Darragh Fitzgerald, Brian O’Connor, Trevor Maxwell, Eoghan Pewter, Kieran Quinlan. Subs: Lee Wall for Maxwell, Jon Okoro for Pewter, Gavin Whyte for Quinlan, Jonathan Downes for O’Connor,

Hermitage 1-6 Shannon Town B
Shannon Town B caused a big surprise in the Munster Junior Cup at the Fairgreen on Sunday when they had a big victory over Hermitage. Goals from Cliff McCabe, Ryan Hodge (2), Patrick Madden (2) and Kev Cahill earns the Shannon side a place in round 2 against Rineanna Rovers or Inch Crusaders.

Kildysart Celtic 0-4 Shannon Town A
Two goals from Colin Scanlan and goals from Rob Wall and Evan Glynn earned Shannon Town A a good away victory over Kildysart Celtic on Sunday.

Corofin Harps A 1-2 Ennis Town A

Heavy rained washed away any chance of Corofin lifting the Munster Junior Cup as Ennis Town left a damp Corofin with victory on Sunday. A rain delay deferred kick-off by five minutes but unfortunately both sides had to play on a water-logged field soon after.

Joe Collins’ drifting in between the midfield and the strikers was becoming problematic for Harps and he made the home side pay. Adrian Walsh slipped Collins through and his attempt flashed beyond the reach of Meere. Corofin were in search of a goal and found it courtesy of Abner, some neat play by Brian McGuaran was smacked into the net by Abner Cordeiro to tie up matters. Constable should have grabbed himself a goal after he was fed by Fiachra Roche but he smashed his shot wide of the target.

Both sides progressed for the kill but some labour defending created an opening for the Townies and Rory Brennan was perfectly supplied and he duly finished emphatically to the roof of the Corofin net.

Late on, the home side had a penalty appeal turned down as Corofin couldn’t produce that golden moment they so desperately longed for. Ennis Town and Corofin will face-off again next week in the FAI Junior Cup.

Corofin Harps A: David Philips, Ronnie Meere, John Keane, Fiachra Roche, Dean Lee; Abner Cordeiro, Darrell Bane, Damien Ryan, Jason Tierney, Brian Mc Guaren; Shane Constable. Subs: Liam Carroll for David Philips (inj)

Ennis Town A: Ethan Kelly, Steven Horgan, Shane O’Connor, Eoin Keenan, Gerard Dullaghan, Adrian Walsh, John Mulcahy, Joe Collins, Sean Collins, Gary Greene, Ciaran MacMathuna. Subs: Ultan Sheils, Nicky Ryan, Rory Brennan

First Division League Cup Semi- Final
Kilrush Rangers 2-1 Newmarket Celtic B

Kilrush Rangers qualified for the First Division League Cup Final after a late goal from Gearoid O’Brien helped them defeat Newmarket Celtic B at Kilrush on Sunday. It was one of those days where an error would prove vital and when it came, it provided Kilrush with a penalty. O’Brien scored his first from the spot and they held the lead until midway through the second half. Ciaran McCoys determination earned his side a penalty and Martin Mulqueen made no mistake to level the contest. The game looked set for extra time until late in the game when O’Brien was played through and slotted the ball past the oncoming Marty Whelan. Newmarket will now play Turnpike Rovers in the final next month.

Kilrush Rangers: Kevin Hedigan, John Kelliher, Paddy Coleman, Eoin Fitzgerald, Jim Young, Graham Copley, Sean Haugh, Tommy Lillis, Gearoid O’Brien, Trevor Clancy, Mathew Moloney. Subs: Cathal Carey for Coleman, Darragh Kelly for Moloney, Dean Neary for Lillis

Newmarket Celtic: Marty Whelan, Brandon Cullinan, Eoin Kelly, Conor Ryan, Paudie Hayes; Kieran Crosby, Seamus Considine, Michael Crosby, Martin Mulqueen, Ciaran McCoy, Shane Meehan. Subs: Danny Conway for Kieran Crosby, Damien McAuley for Meehan

FAI Junior Cup Round 1
Rineanna Rovers 1-0 Shannon Hibernian

A goal from Mark McPhillips was enough to send Rineanna through to round 2 and earn a trip to Kerry to take on Inter Kenmare.

Clare Youths League
Bridge United 5-0 Sporting Ennistymon

Goals from Cian Ward, Lee Wall, Cian O’Rourke, Paul Corry (2) gave Bridge Utd a good victory at Bunratty on Saturday.