Olympic pick up three points as Rineanna progress in Munster Junior Cup

Olympic pick up three points as Rineanna progress in Munster Junior Cup


ennis town vs shannon olympic 28-08-16 11Rineanna secured their passage to Round Two of the Munster Junior Cup with a dramatic win on penalties while Shannon Olympic recorded an impressive 4-0 win over Tulla Utd in the Premier Division.

Munster Junior Cup Round 1
Rineanna Rovers 3-3 Inch Crusaders (AET) – Rineanna won 5-3 on penalties

Rineanna Rovers are through to the second round of the Munster Junior Cup after getting pushed all the way to penalties by Inch Crusaders at Ballycasey on Sunday. Rineanna took the lead after 15 minutes when Stephen Tuohy scored and it remained 1-0 at half time.

Inch drew level in the second half when Rory Killeen blocked down a clearance from the Rineanna keeper and finished well. Inch went close to going in front when Mark Connellan rattled the crossbar with a header from an Eamonn Bracken corner. Inch went in front when Bracken scored after getting put through by Cillian Gregan. Rineanna hit back with goals from Tuohy and Dion Khetan to go back in front but Inch forced extra time when Sean Talty headed home an equalizer in injury time. No goals were scored in extra time and Rineanna had the better of the penalty shootout to advance to a round two meeting with Shannon Town B.

Rineanna Rovers: Darren McMahon, Niall McNamara, Joseph Brennan, Liam Hayes, Mark Scullion, Colin Melody, David Dunne, Stephen Touhy, Martin Frawley, Thomas Reidy, Darren Lindsay. Subs: Dion Khetan for Frawley, Danny Sweeney for Reidy , Raj Singh for Melody, Conor Sweeney for Scullion, Stephen McInerney for Brennan

Inch Crusaders: Leonard McGuane, James Rynne, Sean Talty, Mark Connellan, Sean Hehir, Eoghan Grace, Rory Kileen, Enda McGuane, Cillian Gregan, Brenno Henrique, Eamonn Bracken. Subs: Joe Carmody for Grace, David Moloney for Gregan, Eoghan Culligan for Henrique

Maloney Garden Machinery Premier Division
Tulla Utd A 0-4 Shannon Olympic A

A bright Sunday morning in the Cragg and perfect conditions for a match. Olympic started the game well and were rewarded on 20 minutes when a ball from Sean Burke found David O’Flaherty whose header thundered off the crossbar but the rebound fell to Ray Quigley who made no mistake.

It was end to end stuff for the remainder of the half but there was no more goals as Olympic went in at the break 1-0 in front. Olympic piled on the pressure in the second half and played some excellent football. It paid off 7 minutes after the restart when on the 52nd minute a great through ball from Adrian Carew found Ray Quigley and he got his and Olympics second.

From the restart Olympic took over again and Ray Quigley repaying Carew by putting in a great through ball which Carew finished well in the 57th minute to make it 3-0. Olympic pushed on to close out the game and did so when a shot from Jason Regan was parried away and Ryan Kelly was fastest to react to make it 4-0.

Tulla tried to force their way back into the game but Olympic defended well as a team and there was no way back on this day. Olympic with 3 wins from last 4 games in the league continue their recent good form as they move up to sixth in the table.

Shannon Olympic A: Pierce Deloughrey, Benjamin Cantillon, David O Flaherty, Wayne Regan, Dean Power, Adrian Carew, Derek Maxwell, Ryan Kelly, Sean Burke, Ray Quigley, Jason Regan. Subs: Wayne Ryan for Sean Burke

First Division League
Lifford A 3-3 Newmarket Celtic B

Lifford staged a great comeback late in the game to earn a share of the points in an entertaining game against leaders Newmarket Celtic B in the First Division at Cassidy Park on Sunday. There was little between the teams throughout the first half and Newmarket went in front when Michael Crosby finished off a well delivered corner after a goalmouth scramble to open the scoring.

It remained 1-0 to the visitors at the break. Lifford started the second half well but it was Newmarket who stretched their lead with a great strike from Gary Collins from 25 yards. Lifford got back in the game when a well delivered corner from Richie Neylon ended up in the net. Good work from Collins down the left wing created a chance for Shane Meehan who made no mistake to restore a 2 goal advantage.

Lifford made some changes and threw everything at Newmarket in the closing stages. Scott Hennessy got on the end of a throw on 87 minutes and fired an unstoppable shot from the edge of the box to the back of the Newmarket net with 3 minutes left and there was hope for the home side. With the game deep in injury time Lifford were awarded a free kick for dissent off the ball. Richie Neylon fired in a good delivery from the free kick and Anton Mannering got on the end of it at the back post to fire home a deserved equalizer on the day.

Lifford A: Sean O’Reilly, Owen Murphy, John Maher, Darren Daly, Anthony Whyte, Ethan Cronin, Richie Neylon, Anton Mannering, Scott Hennessy, Gary McNaboe, Jack Devitt. Subs: Fergus Lyons for Devitt, Dean Coughlan for McNaboe, Ethan McNevin for Cronin

Newmarket Celtic B: Martin Whelan, Danny Conway, John Hartnett, Conor Ryan, Eoin Kelly, Seamus Considine, Kieran Crosby, Michael Crosby, Shane Meehan, Damien McAuley, Ciaran McCoy. Subs: Gary Collins for McCoy, Ryan Corry for Meehan, Jamie Cronin for McAuley

Kildysart Celtic 0-2 Kilrush Rangers
Goals from Gearoid O’Brien and Jamie Gilligan earned Kilrush a good victory over Kildysart on Sunday.

Bridge Utd B 0-3 Hermitage
Hermitage kept up their challenge for promotion with victory over Bridge Utd B at Bunratty on Sunday. Two goals from Johnnie Fern and goal from Darragh Kerin secured the victory on the day.

Suttons Lighting Third Division
Sporting Ennistymon B 0-3 Lifford B
Goals from Mikey Whyte, Michael Sullivan and Peter Keenan gave Lifford B a good away victory on Sunday.