Galway knock Clare out of Inter League Youths Cup

Galway knock Clare out of Inter League Youths Cup


Pic: Oliver Fitzpatrick

Clare bowed out of the Inter League Youths Cup at the last sixteen stage with neighbours Galway knocking them out of the competition.

Galway 2
Clare 1
Venue: Eamon Deacy Park

Clare were the better team throughout the 90 minutes but missed chances proved costly as Galway advanced to a quarter-final meeting with Dublin & District Schoolboys League next month.

Colm Ryan’s side started well and had a good shout for a penalty waved away on 7 minutes when Jack Devitt was taken down in the box. A great strike from outside the box by Jamie Roche on 14 minutes flew into the top corner of the Galway net to give Clare a deserved lead.

Billy Clancy had to be sharp at the back on 18 minutes to stop Galway’s James Cahalan getting on shot on goal. Galway were awarded a penalty on 20 minutes for a nudge off the ball in the box. Mathew Barrett struck the penalty well to the corner but it was brilliantly saved by Alan Naughton who made another great save from the rebound to stop Barrett from scoring.

Roche went close again with a shot on 26 minutes that was saved by Kalim Fahy who replaced the injured Troy Slattery. A good run and shot from Callum Keely on 28 minutes was again well saved by Fahy. Good work from Robbie Waller down the left wing setup Roche inside the Galway box and his well struck effort brought a world class save out of Fahy on 31 minutes.

A well delivered corner from Oisin Cavanagh on 34 minutes was headed narrowly wide by Lee Wall. Clare went close again on 38 minutes with a great effort from Waller that just went the wrong side of the post. Galway had the last chance of the half when Barrett headed over on 45 minutes.

Clare were on top in the early stages of the second half and Wall went close again with an effort from 20 yards on 48 minutes. Against the run of play Galway were back on level terms on 51 minutes when Barrett finished well. Roche narrowly missed the target from a free kick on 60 minutes after Dean Coughlan was taken down just outside the box.

Killian Dolan had a shot from the edge of the box saved by Naughton on 66 minutes. Clare were unlucky not to go back in front on 68 minutes when Jack Devitt’s attempted lob over the advancing Fahy agonizingly landed on the top of the Galway net.

A great strike from 25 yards by Galway captain Cian O’Toole on 80 minutes flew into the corner of the Clare net and somehow Galway found themselves in front with 10 minutes left in the match.

With Clare pushing forward in search of an equalizer Galway had a good chance to wrap up the victory on 89 minutes but Naughton was sharp off his line to make a make a great save at the feet of Dolan. One last chance for Clare in injury time fell to Wall from a Roche free kick but his header went over the bar as Galway held on for the victory.

Galway: Troy Slattery, Conor Devlin, Dean Cullinane, Paul Kelly, Nathan Ward, Cian O’Toole (Cpt), Jack Kissane, Oran Monaghan, James Cahalan, Niall Rooney, Mathew Barrett. Subs: Kalim Fahy, Killian Dolan

Clare: Alan Naughton (Lifford), Callum Keely (Shannon Town), Oisin Cavanagh (Newmarket Celtic), Billy Clancy (St Pats), Kevin McSweeney (Tulla Utd), Christy Carey (Bridge Utd), Robbie Waller (Shannon Town), Lee Wall (Bridge Utd), Jack Devitt (Lifford), Jamie Roche (Avenue Utd), Kevin Tubridy (St Pats). Subs: Dean Coughlan (Lifford) for Tubridy, Danny Clancy (St Pats) for Waller

Subs Not Used: Mark Shannon (St Pats), Kevin Considine (Hermitage), Johnny Ryan (Avenue Utd), Fergus Lyons (Lifford), Luke Whelan (Shannon Town), Sean Cahill (Tulla Utd)

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.