12.45pm – After fire crews carried out an inspection of the basement, high levels of gas were detected.
Addition units of the fire brigade from Shannon Town have now arrived at the scene to assist with the operation.
5.30pm – A spokesman for Clare County Fire and Rescue Service confirmed: “High levels of chlorine were detected in the water. All waste is being disposed of in a licensed waste facility locally.”
A spokesman for the Auburn Lodge Hotel said: “I can confirm that we had a leak in the basement area of the Leisure Centre. In accordance with our safety plan the area was isolated and emergency services called. Chemicals used for the operation of the Leisure Centre were stored in accordance with guidelines in this area. We have since received confirmation from the Fire Service that there is no danger to guests, employees or the public.”
“We are grateful to our employees and the emergency services for their assistance,” the spokesman added.
Earlier: Emergency services are dealing with a suspected chemical incident at a leisure centre in Co Clare this morning.
The alarm was raised at around 6.30am when the fire service received a call to the River Lodge Health and Fitness centre on the Gort Road in Ennis.
Three units of the fire brigade from Ennis responded to the incident along with an ambulance, rapid response advanced paramedic unit and Gardaí.
While the leisure facility and swimming pool are located at the rear of a local hotel and close to a supermarket and residential properties, no persons have been evacuated. The area has however been cordoned off while the fire service deals with the incident.
It’s understood that a basement where chemicals for the maintenance of the pool are stored has flooded. Efforts are underway to pump water out of the basement before fire crews wearing specialist chemical protection suits can undertake a further investigation to see whether the chemicals have reacted with the water.
No further details on the incident are available however emergency services remain at the scene. No one has been injured.