Jet diverts to Shannon amid fire fear

Jet diverts to Shannon amid fire fear


Photo: © Pat Flynn 2016
Photo: © Pat Flynn 2016

Updated: 10.05pm

The transatlantic jet that made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport last night has continued its journey.

Open Skies (France) flight BOS-1, a transatlantic airline owned by British Airways, was travelling from Orly Airport in Paris to Newark in the US at the time. There were 89 passengers and a crew of 5 on board.

The Boeing 757-200 jet was about three hours into its journey when the crew turned around. The crew informed air traffic controllers they had a ‘wheel well fire indication’ and wished to divert and land as soon as possible.

Shannon Airport’s emergency crews were placed on standby while units of the local authority fire brigade from Shannon, Ennis and Killaloe along with a number of ambulances and garda units were also requested to attend.

The Kilrush RNLI lifeboat was also placed on standby as a precaution.

The flight made of low level pass over the runway at Shannon to allow air traffic controllers check that all the landing gear had deployed and the see whether there was any indication of fire.

After completing the fly pass the crew repositioned for a full-stop landing and touched down safely at 9.32pm.

The jet was quickly surrounded by fire crews on the runway and after checking the landing gear for any sign of fire, the jet taxied to the terminal where fire crews carried out a further inspection.

Engineers were also standing by to investigate the issue however the flight was later cancelled.

The same aircraft diverted to Gander in Newfoundland on Thursday after the crew reported a problem over the Atlantic. The flight was travelling from Paris to Newark at the time.


12.15pm: The flight was originally scheduled to continue its journey to the US at 2.00pm on Saturday however this has been further delayed until 4.00pm.

4.45: Passengers were later told their flight would continue at 5.05pm.

6.05: The flight finally continued its journey shortly before 6.00pm.

BA8001 Update

Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.