Rocky start for new US service from Shannon

Rocky start for new US service from Shannon

SHARE

Photo: © Pat Flynn 2016

A new transatlantic service from Shannon Airport to the US failed to take off yesterday after the flight was cancelled and the aircraft was grounded with a technical issue.

Passengers were accommodated in hotels last night and were transported by road to Belfast and Cork airports this morning where they had been rebooked on alternative services.

A new Norwegian Air International service from Shannon to Stewart International Airport in Orange County was inaugurated on Sunday.

However, the airline’s new service to Providence, Rhode Island did not operate yesterday. It’s understood that flight D-81825 was grounded at Shannon with a technical problem.

Passengers were accommodated in hotels overnight while alternative arrangements were made to get them to their destination.

This morning, passengers were brought back to Shannon by coach and later transported to Cork and Belfast airports.

A Norwegian spokesperson said: “We are extremely sorry that due to an aircraft technical issue, the planned flight from Shannon to Providence on Monday 3rd July was cancelled.”

“Passengers were notified of the cancellation and offered hotel accommodation at the airport while contingency plans were put in place. Once seats had been secured on alternative flights from Cork and Belfast, passengers were able to use the hotline number provided to rebook onto alternative flights to Providence,” the airline said.

“We would like to sincerely apologise again to passengers for the inconvenience caused,” the spokesperson added.

SHARE
Chief Reporter Pat Flynn has worked as a journalist for almost 30 years. His career began during the late 1980s when, like many aspiring radio presenters of the time, he worked for local pirate radio stations in Clare and Limerick. Pat joined Clare FM in 1990 where he worked as researcher initially and later presented several different programmes including the station's flagship current affairs programme. He was also the station's News Editor and Deputy Controller of Programmes. Despite leaving in 2003 to pursue a career as a freelance journalist, he continues to work with the station to this day. As well as being the Clare Herald’s Chief Reporter Pat is also freelance journalist and broadcaster, contributing to Ireland’s national newspapers and is a regular contributor to national broadcasters.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY